Re: Automating give-bakcs?

On 2018-01-09 16:05, Wookey wrote:
On 2018-01-09 11:01 +0000, Punit Agrawal wrote:
Thanks for pushing this through. For some reason, I was under the
impression that the give-backs are all automated. :)

This made me wonder whether in fact it would make sense to automate this.

Why do we not let DDs generate give-backs? I suspect this is mostly
historical from when buildds were a more scarce resource, and we
didn't trust DDs not to waste it? But it might be because the tool to
do that also provides other capabilities that could be abused?

Historically because we had no method to do so. I would've liked to do it but with the current authentication/authorization setup, someone would need to write a web service that gates the requests. (Otherwise we need to grant login to the master to all DDs and also provision PostgreSQL passwords for them as the database is no longer on the same host.)

Luckily there's SSO now so finally there's a way on how this could actually be implemented. Before we didn't really have a way to do so except maybe coming up with our own mail gateway.

I personally don't mind a rate-limited give-back mechanism for DDs.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern