Re: binNMUs and versions

Kurt,

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 06:50:47PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > What we see in that version field is a faked version anyway.  It's not
> > about the binary version, it's either source version or
> > concat(source version, '+b', binNMU version).
> Right, and we probably don't properly handle the case where a
> source versions generates differerent binary versions then
> the source version, not taking binNMUs into account, and then
> doing a binNMU of that.  But those packages probably don't support
> binNMUs either.

at least quinn-diff did.  There's a Source field in the binary stanza.
But right, if the binary packages fail at producing the proper versions
we can't help that.  But that's sbuild / package building interaction.

> But it's still important that we know what the source version is,
> we can't assume that a "+bX" binary version is actually a binNMU.

We can, at the source level.  I suppose the day someone uploads a source
version ending on "+bX" the hell will break lose anyway.  (And it will
get ugly with "+b1+bX" on binNMUs, so let's forget about that.

At the binary version we can't, that's true, but that's nothing wanna-build
in particular looks at.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager