Re: additional build depends / conflicts

* Philipp Kern (pkern@debian.org) [100606 16:56]:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 04:19:18PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > As I don't want to get requests to specify packages which are not part
> > of the controls build-depends (for that, I really would like to seen
> > an source upload), I consider checking that only packages are depended
> > on that are part of the source package dependencies anyways (we still
> > could get a newer version). For conflicts, I don't think that is
> > advisable, as we might need to conflict with an intermediatly broken
> > version of something indirectly depended on.
>
> So for conflicts we would suddenly be able to fix up builds without
> touching debian/control, that sounds bad in terms of reproducability.
>
> Additional dependencies could be helpful, though.

well, what's the difference of "depends: python (>> 2.6)" and
"conflicts: python (<= 2.6)" (with an sourceful dependency on python)?
Otherwise, I'm happy to say "buildd needs to modify the changelog",
perhaps that's the best anyways.

(I think we should be more strict with depends on *new* packages,
because "depends on something that's not in a plain chroot" might
activate new features in some packages, even though that's obviously a
bug.)

Andi