Re: Question to all candidates: what to do with the Debian money, shall we invest in hardware and cloud?

On 27/03/24 04:54, Thomas Goirand wrote:
Hi,

As you know, there's a large amount of money sleeping in SPI account for Debian. Do you have ideas on how to spend it?
From Jonathan's mail, I think we do not have too much money unused now.

Would you be ok spending 100k USD on buying hardware for a new Debian cloud, for example? I've always volunteered to operate it for Debian, but it never went through, because I haven't spent time to find where to host it and so on, but highvoltage liked the idea. Do you like this idea? Do you think it'd be useful for Debian?
As I mentioned in some previous questions, I would be interested to hear about ideas to make good use of our money. But I would not be taking decisions on spending "big" amount of money without much discussion within the Debian community.  Based on some experience we had in our Free Software Community of India, I have learned that hosting services is a task that require good amount of effort and time for maintenance. If we do not have a enough volunteers to handle them, it will result in burnout and eventually the services die. Let us take up this topic after the elections (if I become the DPL) and evaluate the pros and cons before committing.
Also, I found very annoying that we don't have enough buildd, or that the reproducible build project doesn't have as much hardware as they would like. Would it be ok to spend another 100k USD for this kind of things.
Generally speaking, spending on hardware in my opinion is a good investment. Jonathan in his mail mentioned that some amount of money was spent recently for hardwares by DSA. So let us revisit this request later, discuss with DSA and decide.