Re: Question to candidates: what are your quantitative diversity goals and metrics?

On Friday, March 29, 2024 1:56:46 PM MST Andreas Tille wrote:
> Interestingly, this issue may be more relevant than you assume. At
> DebConf15, Margerita Manterola shed light on pertinent statistics,
> revealing that the representation of women in Free Software lags behind
> that of the broader IT industry. Within Debian specifically, this gender
> gap is even more pronounced compared to the already underrepresented
> status within the Free Software community at large.  While I don't know
> current figures, the prospect of recruiting individuals with a
> predisposition towards inclusivity from the wider IT sector could
> potentially bolster the presence of non-male developers within Debian.

Thank you.  That is the type of specifics I was hoping to get at.  I think that
Debian working towards having an equal representation of women as compared to
the Free Software community at large sounds like an attainable goal and one
towards which we definitely ought to be striving.

Does anyone have a link to the information Margerita shared or information
from other sources about the number of women contributing to Debian compared
to Free Software in general?  Having specific numbers is a helpful first step in
addressing the problem.

--
Soren Stoutner
soren@debian.org