Re: Question to candidates: what are your quantitative diversity goals and metrics?

On Thursday, March 28, 2024 6:53:19 PM MST Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> So, I repeat my question to the candidates: what are your quantitative
> diversity goals and metrics, and what are the rationales behind those
> goals and metrics?

I would just like to add my support to Roberto for asking this question.  When
I was reading over the platforms I had the same question he did, which is that
I was uncertain as to exactly what the candidates meant with regards to
diversity and what specific things they would do to address it (their
descriptions were a bit amorphous to me).  Nothing about my interest in
understanding the candidates position about diversity should in any way be
interpreted as antagonism towards their diversity goals.  Rather, I would just
like to understand how they see the problem and what things they would like to
do to address it, including any metrics as to what they think would be
attainable progress.

Personally, I am one of only two Debian Developers that I know of living in
Arizona.  So, from a local geographic diversity perspective, I would like to
see a few more Debian Developers that I could meet up with face-to-face.  In
that regard, I am actively trying to recruit people I know to get involved in
Debian.  Those efforts can take a while to play out, but I would hope that over
the next 2-3 years I can recruit at least 1-2 people and mentor them through
the process of becoming Debian Developers.

Separate from efforts to recruit Debian Developers in general, I am a self-
employed small business owner.  Currently, I do not have any employees besides
myself.  However, if current plans materialize, I would hope to add a few
employees over the next couple of years.  When that happens, part of my
employment contract would be that I would like them to dedicate up to 5 hours
of paid company time per week to work on any part of Debian that interests
them.  The hope would be that they would eventually become Debian Developers
and that they would continue their association with Debian even if they left
my company’s employ.

This second part relates more to the discussion about recruiting more people
to Debian in general (as opposed to any specific diversity goal) as well as the
discussion about paid contributions to Debian and trying to get companies to
sponsor employee time working on Debian.

Returning to the Roberto’s question, as both candidates have made this a part
of their platform, I would hope that they could make a simple statement along
the lines of, “These are the specific groups I see underrepresented in Debian
(perhaps even with some specific numbers about how underrepresented they are)
and these are the specific things I would like to do to improve their
representation (perhaps with some specific metrics as to what they think can be
accomplished during their term as the DPL).”  I do understand that maybe their
statement looks more like, “These are the specific groups I see
underrepresented.  I don’t have any idea of how to fix that, but I think it is
important and as the DPL I would be open to any ideas from members of the
project and would be committed to investing time and appropriate resources to
implementing any good ideas that surface from those suggestions.”

I don’t think the DPL has to have all the answers going it.  But I would hope
that Roberto’s excellent question and his consistency in noting that it hasn’t
yet been answered, would be helpful in directing the entire conversation
towards concrete things we can implement to improve the situation.

--
Soren Stoutner
soren@debian.org