Re: Call for vote: public statement about the EU Legislation "Cyber Resilience Act and Product Liability Directive"

Hi,

On 11/15/23 15:22, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

     The Debian project however notes that not enough emphasis has been
     employed in all parts of these regulations to clearly exonerate Free
     and Open Source Software Projects from being subject to the same
     liabilities as commercial products

I find this part a bit ambiguous. When GitLab or Proxmox or RedHat sells
services around a free software product, I think it's OK if they are
covered by this regulation. Maybe it would be better with
s/Projects/Organizations/?

That is exactly why I think this is dangerous: I want GitLab and Proxmox to be responsible for what they release, but it is very difficult to draw a line between their offering and what Microsoft is doing by paying for systemd development while they are also selling Azure cloud.

Maybe we should underline specific borderline situations where the
impact of the regulation would be unclear?

There is no defined borderline, that is part of the problem. Development happens on a continuum between "commercial enterprise releases part of their product as open source, but contributions are not actively solicited" to "a project some random person in Nebraska has been thanklessly maintaining since 2003."

What Microsoft are doing, with developers being paid by them and then given a lot of freedom, is somewhere in the middle, but the proposed legislation does not have a provision for that. So it either falls into the same category as GitLab, or it doesn't.

So:

 - do we believe GitLab should be classed as a commercial enterprise?
- do we believe systemd development should not be classed as a commercial enterprise? - can we identify a distinguishing criterion that can be applied by a regulatory body that will give the results we believe are correct, and that is also difficult to subvert?

Luca's proposal is only "please take our position into account" without actually spelling our position out: we are asking for a carve-out for certain commercially supported projects, but not others. This problem applies to more than just systemd, but they are a good test case.

We should at least identify

 - which projects these are
- why we believe they should be exempted (is it internal governance? is it because we rely on them? is it because we trust the people involved?) - how new commercially supported projects could make the list (sustainability)

and then derive rules from that, see if they sound sensible, and then ask the EU to implement them.

   Simon