Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 07:29:05AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> My reason for using Debian is that I can rely on getting a 100% free
> system, and then add non-free works on top of it when I chose to do so.
>
> For example, I install the firmware-iwlwifi package on my laptop because
> I haven't been bothered to replace the wifi module with an Atheros wifi
> module yet, even though I bought it five years ago.  This flexibility
> suits me well, and it does not seem to be in conflict with the
> flexibility you appear to desire: using a non-free installer to install
> these things automatically for you.  My flexibility will no longer be
> permitted by Proposal A and E.

As you keep repeating that:
Proposal A and E explictly states:

  The included firmware binaries will normally be enabled by default where the
  system determines that they are required, **but where possible we will include
  ways for users to disable this at boot (boot menu option, kernel command line
  etc.).**

You still have the flexibilty. You still can make the non-free firmware inert bits.
The installer will still not *require* these bits to function.