Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

>>I think the difference of opinion is that your proposal is based on the
>>argument that it is worth compromising on the ideals of free software in
>>order to allow users to be able to run free software.  I disagree with
>>that opinion.  If you disagree with my characterization of your
>>proposal, let's discuss and see if there is a middle ground somewhere.
>
> I think you have it, yes. We're simply disagreeing about what
> compromises we're prepared to accept. I think that's fair, and fine -
> I'm explicitly asking for a project-wide opinion on this. This is
> also why I've seconded several of the competing ballot options. OK?

Thanks for confirming my understanding Steve -- and accept my apology
for labeling it as a compromise of ideals.  Russ' explanation made me
realize that it is more constructive to see this as a prioritization of
another ideal.

What still puzzles me is that I regarded myself as having worked with a
lot of computer hardware over the years, without experiencing the kind
of situation described here.  Yes, some hardware doesn't work with
Debian, but no I would not blame Debian for that nor give up or stop
contributing to Debian because of it, and no, I don't perceive such
hardware to be as overwhelmingly dominant as described.  I think the
answer must be that people have different biases to what kind of
hardware they are exposed to.  And perhaps a different preference how to
help people who are in an unfortunate situation.

/Simon