Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 05:00:37PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:

>What still puzzles me is that I regarded myself as having worked with a
>lot of computer hardware over the years, without experiencing the kind
>of situation described here.  Yes, some hardware doesn't work with
>Debian, but no I would not blame Debian for that nor give up or stop
>contributing to Debian because of it, and no, I don't perceive such
>hardware to be as overwhelmingly dominant as described.  I think the
>answer must be that people have different biases to what kind of
>hardware they are exposed to.  And perhaps a different preference how to
>help people who are in an unfortunate situation.

You've described it already - you're using a 12yo laptop (X200) with
wired network (AFAICS?) and some other non-portable machines.

Many common laptops in the last 5-10 years don't come with wired
ethernet; it's becoming rarer over time. They ~all need firmware
working non-basic video, and audio also needs firmware on some of the
very latest models. The world has changed here, and I think your
perceptions may be out of date.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt