Re: General Resolution: non-free firmware: results

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

>> Certainly given the narrow margin, we should do what we can to make it
>> easy for those who want to provide an unofficial fully-free installer
>> to do so.  I think we might even want to link to it from the official
>> page, inverting the way we currently do it.

> I certainly have no objections to that if someone wants to do the work
> to maintain it.

I should also say, more concretely, that the winning option explicitly
says that this portion of the GR is a project statement on issues of the
day.  The implication, in my view, is that this is our opinion today.  If
something changes (such as a team coming forward saying "hey, we want to
maintain a free installer"), our opinion may chnage.  It's not a technical
decision or a delegate override, and we don't need to hold another GR to
change our minds.

(This is one of the reasons why I prefer to have every GR clearly state
what part of the constitution it's operating under.)