Re: non-main non-firmware software and Debian installation

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 08:51:21AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While firmware is the most important category of software not available
> in Debian main needed by Debian users at install time, there are others.

Hi Paul,

I think there's a couple of issues here that need untangling.

As you say, there's a spectrum of needs and users:

Some people - including participants in this discussion - are content
to have a system with no extra firmware loadable. Other people are
happy to have all firmware, firmware updates from a manufacturer -
and all shades in between.

This GR is essentially about
* whether we should include non-free firmware in an installer produced by
the media team for Debian

* what precedence we should give that and whether we should continue to
produce an installer with no non-free firmware in addition

Moving software to a new nonfree-firmware section means that we can be
more clear about what is firmware and what is not. In some sense, nothing
changes - Debian has always supported freedom and also its users. We can
be honest that firmware is often required and that not all software is
under our control - that's a necessary point to make.

Whether this changes the SC at this point is probably a better subject
for another GR in due course. It would be good and useful to make
this GR as simple as possible and no simpler.

Multiplying installers might be a complexity too far at this or any other
stage.

With all the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater