non-main non-firmware software and Debian installation

Hi all,

While firmware is the most important category of software not available
in Debian main needed by Debian users at install time, there are others.

Some that I can think of are drivers and accessibility aids, for eg:

The broadcom-sta-dkms Broadcom WiFi driver is only in non-free.

The mbrola-af1 Afrikaans voice is in non-free and the mbrola text to
speech system that uses it is in contrib.

There are probably situations where non-redistributable firmware or
software is required at install time, but is available for download or
available from the preinstalled OS on a device. I have the impression
that Android devices and Apple M1/M2 are examples of the latter.

There are many Android devices where non-redistributable non-Linux
software or services are required to unlock or jailbreak a device
before the Debian installer can be run.

There are always going to be situations where non-main software is
required to enable installation or usage of Debian. Constraining the
use of non-main software within the installer to firmware only means
that installation is not possible for some people. On the other hand
for some people acceptability of non-free software ends at firmware.
Other people prefer to not use non-free firmware either. Other people
choose features no matter what license they come under[1].

So there are a continuum of needs for non-free software.

Currently Debian is supporting only two groups, proposing to drop one
of those groups and neglecting some other groups.

Debian could instead aim to increase the set of people who are served
by our installation tools and distribution. That would entail keeping
the current free installer, altering the existing non-free installer to
only install firmware, adding additional non-free installers and
additional tools for other operating systems.

Of course there are likely not enough volunteers to work on these
issues, so this mail serves mainly to reframe the discussion to orient
it within the wider spectrum of opinions on non-free software and wider
range of issues that people face installing or using Debian.

1. I expect Debian lost a lot of gaming users to distros that install
   the non-free nvidia driver by default where needed.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise