Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 04:18:19PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Bart Martens (2022-08-26 10:02:16)
> > On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 07:06:01AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > > [...] it lacks a detail I find crucial:
> > > Explicitly spelling out whether or not images containing non-free bits
> > > are official part of Debian or not.  Personally I find it obvious that
> > > anything that would not be allowed into main also would not be treated
> > > as official part of Debian,
> >
> > I share the same concern as you: Steve's proposal would mean that installers
> > containing non-free firmware become official part of Debian. My text does not.
> >
> > > If Bart chose to extend the proposal to include that such media
> > > containing non-free bits (although permitted "alongside with the free
> > > media) would *not* be considered official part of Debian, then I would
> > > endorse the amended proposal.
> >
> > That would be repeating what's already true. My text includes only things that
> > I propose to change. So what is off/unofficially today, remains that. It's like
> > "the name of the project remains Debian". Why would I mention that.
> >
> > Does this cover your concern?
>
> It clarifies that my reading matches your intended reading. Thanks!

Haa wonderful.

> Unfortunately it does not cover my concern that the text is ambiguous -
> i.e. despite intent your choice of words can lead voters to vote for
> this text but with varying expectations, which is a very bad situation.

What exactly in my text do you mean?

> I still urge you to make explicit what will not change.  Perhaps borrow
> from Simons text, if you (like me) like that?

Simon Richter's text would permit the Debian project to replace the free
installer by a non-free one. My text clearly mentions that the free installer
is still there. Didn't you prefer the free installer to remain available?