Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Quoting Steve McIntyre (2022-08-26 00:21:20)
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 09:40:24AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> >
> >The problem is that the vendors for most devices that include the Intel
> >hardware require Intel signatures on the firmware binaries.
> >
> >Some devices (Intel based Chromebooks and UP boards) allow firmware
> >binaries to be signed by a "community" private key that is public.
> >
> >In the future Intel may enable a scenario similar to Secure Boot's
> >Machine Owner Key setup, where device owners can add new signing keys.
> >
> >https://github.com/thesofproject/sof/issues/5814
> >
> >In that situation, Debian could sign the audio firmware binaries
> >instead and allow users to sign their own modified firmware binaries.
>
> Yup, that would be a lovely big win!
>
> >> The free installer is ideal for virtualisation only because it's
> >> sitting on top of a bunch of idealised hardware.
> >
> >It could also be useful for devices that run libre firmware, such as
> >Raptor Computing's ppc64el devices, although Debian does not have
> >packages of the libre firmware projects for these devices so in
> >practice it isn't yet useful for those scenarios.
>
> Right.
>
> I'd prefer us not to get dragged down the "users just need to pick the
> right hardware" path. That way potentially lies a (slightly snobbish?)
> "you chose wrong, try harder" message that will just push users (and
> eventually developers) to other distros.
>
> There are always going to be machines that we can't/won't be able to
> support, but when the vast majority of current laptops don't function
> sensibly without non-free firmware I think we have to adapt to reality
> in supporting our users.

I agree with the above.

(I don't recognize anyone dragging us down said path in this thread,
but I could perhaps be perceived like that, which is the reason I
respond here)

I see two ways that we can "adapt to reality", however:

a) We point our users up front to non-free components they likely need

b) We give users up front what they likely need

Problem I see in the second approach is that we then effectively make it
*harder* for those wanting to prioritize Free Software to do so, which
in my opinion goes against a core principle of our community.

Let's promote non-free installer more aggressively, but please let's
explicitly label it as not part of the product we claim is 100% free.

 - Jonas