Re: General resolution: Condemn Russian invasion of the Ukraine

Hi Jonathan

On 2022/04/08 11:44, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Debconf is not formally a part of Debian,
and so cannot be bound by the outcome of a GR anyway.

Due to how DebConf started and how it evolved, and the pace that they had to move on to get things done, they were initially a somewhat separate (but close) organization to Debian.

Over the last decade that has changed a lot, and DebConf is now as much part of the Debian project as any other Debian sub-project. We now mostly use the same Debian TOs (unless there's a good reason to add a temporary one for a conf), the DebConf committee is delegated within the project and there's no external setup of DebConf that exists anymore whatsoever.

I guess you could nitpick on what "formally a part of Debian" means, I mean, we don't have formal agreements with most teams within Debian, but as far as DebConf is concerned, I wouldn't say it's any more or less a part of Debian than any other Debian sub-project.

-Jonathan