Re: Results for Voting secrecy

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> The blurb that's sent out with the votes says:

>   To vote "no, no matter what", rank "None of the above" as more
>   desirable than the unacceptable choices, or you may rank the "None of
>   the above" choice and leave choices you consider unacceptable blank.

> which to me suggests that if one ranks something as equal to NotA then
> one is not marking it as unacceptable, so presumably it is counted as
> acceptable -- is that how such votes are calculated?

The relevant provision of the constitution is:

    A.5.3. Any (non-default) option which does not defeat the default
    option by its required majority ratio is dropped from consideration.

      1. Given two options A and B, V(A,B) is the number of voters who
         prefer option A over option B.
      2. An option A defeats the default option D by a majority ratio N,
         if V(A,D) is greater or equal to N * V(D,A) and V(A,D) is
         strictly greater than V(D,A).
      3. If a supermajority of S:1 is required for A, its majority ratio
         is S; otherwise, its majority ratio is 1.

My understanding of the implications of this process (and Kurt is
authoritative here, of course) is that if you rank NOTA equally with an
option, that vote is not part of V(A,D) or V(D,A) since neither option is
preferred over the other, and therefore has no effect either way on
whether an option is discarded because it doesn't meet majority.