Re: Questions about Debian derivatives

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:27:48AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
[...]
> > Not sure if you're familiar with extrepo?
>
> As I understand it, extrepo is more for things like the Mozilla Firefox
> or PostgreSQL repositories than things like Ubuntu? Probably a
> discussion for the extrepo maintainer, or potentially there is room for
> an extrepo extension containing apt configs/keys for derivatives,
> perhaps pulled from the census. As an example of where this would be
> useful, I'm pulling the Ubuntu census apt config into a chdist so I can
> list Ubuntu package versions etc on the command-line.

The URL format of the extrepo metadata currently contains "/debian/" in
it, precisely because I foresaw the possibility to also include
repositories for (or of) our derivatives, and then you might not
necessarily want to mix that with Debian *all* the time.

The current extrepo client does not have the ability to select a
different distribution, mostly because it hasn't come up yet and there
are other things that are important currently; but if there is a need
and/or interest from derivatives, I'm definitely open to adding the
metadata to extrepo and extending the client with functionality that
would be useful.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}