Re: Questions about Debian derivatives

Quoting Paul Wise (2022-03-28 04:27:48)
> On Sun, 2022-03-27 at 18:05 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> > Last I spoke to you, I think you also said that you don't have much
> > time to work on this anymore, and that the distro census is probably
> > going to die down. Is this still the status? Do you think it can be
> > saved? We probably have quite a wide audience here, do you think
> > it's worth another shot to get people involved to work on it?
>
> The census has been turned off for years. It is too much work for one
> person to do on their own. I don't have motivation or time or ability
> to do it alone any more. I have tried to recruit other folks to work
> on both the social and technical sides of it. I had an Outreachy
> intern that did some great work. I had some interest in contributing
> from both DDs and non-DDs but the interest didn't result in the sort
> of ongoing contributions that are needed. I've had encouragement for
> keeping the census around from a couple of folks though. I'm also not
> sure the Debian community thinks the approach is correct or even
> useful to Debian itself and also for derivatives themselves; the
> mailing list and IRC channel are mostly silent for years. There are
> also some solvable technical flaws that mean the census cron can't be
> turned back on right now, and the motivation issues block fixing them.

I guess that by "The census" you mean the code to compute the delta
between Debian and each of its derivatives.

I think the census is useful both to Debian itself and to derivatives.
Sadly I suspect that too few are aware of it, despite your promotion,
Paul.

Help getting the census scripts back on track requires Python skills.

 - Jonas