Re: To all candidates: Debian and people with disabilities

That's good to hear. We use Element at work, so I can tell the boss that Jitsi is good to use now. Unfortunately, Element has started making their own video call stuff because <sarcasm>it's just never enough to have a good FOSS solution, one must make their own to have it perfect!</sarcasm>. Funnily enough, Zoom is pretty awful to use on Linux as a desktop app. The web app works a bit better, so I'm glad Jitsi outshines them in accessibility now.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:05 PM Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
    Jonathan> I installed a Jitsi server for Debian (it's a system for
    Jonathan> making group video calls), and was really proud that we
    Jonathan> had this... until we had some blind people join some calls
    Jonathan> and learned how utterly inaccessible it is.  For example,
    Jonathan> you can toggle your mic or camera (there's no way to set
    Jonathan> it as either on or off explicitly) and then you have to be
    Jonathan> able to see the mic or camera icon on your screen in order
    Jonathan> to tell whether those are enabled or not.

This has gotten much much better.

* You can hold down space bar in orca focus mode, when you release, you
  know you will be muted.
  (push to talk key)

* The accessibility of the icons is much better.
The buttons are "pressed" when muted and this displays through to orca.

There are still a few things that are not perfect, but Jitsi
accessibility is on par with Zoom and Teams from my standpoint these
days.