Re: Question to all candidates: Ongoing/future legal projects

Hi Gunnar,

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 10:47 PM Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org> wrote:

> This year I think I will break my usual
> practice, and vote a certain DPL candidate below NotA :-\

With that statement, you potentially committed two
infractions—depending on where you live.

First, revealing a vote is widely looked down upon. Why would you do
it other than to sway people who have not made up their minds? It's
why some folks desire to have secret votes. Your conduct might also be
illegal in some places. [1]

Second, you expressed a preference among candidates while holding
public office. [2] That is a big gray area, but restrictions exist in
the US [3] and, to some extent, in Germany. [4] On a Debian list, you
are an office holder with expanded authorities. Would it not be better
to act moderately compared to membership, on average?

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner

[1] https://www.vox.com/21523858/ballot-selfies-state-rules
[2] https://www.debian.org/intro/organization