GR ballot option: Alternative: only make vote tally available to DD (or to voters)

Hi,

On 05/03/22 at 20:49 +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 08:47:40PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 04/03/22 at 19:36 +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > > A suggestion:
> > >
> > > An alternative to secret vote would be to make the vote tallies only
> > > accessible by DD (or more generally to people allowed to vote, whether
> > > they did not not).
> > >
> > > This would still allow voters to check the vote but would not allow
> > > outside parties to use it (unless some DD leaks it, alas).
> >
> > I believe that's a useful compromise, and I would second this option.
>
> As I understand, the constitution does not require the secretary to
> make the vote tallies available to the whole world, so we might not need a
> GR for that.

I'm not sure that's true. Constitution says:
"after the vote the Project Secretary lists all the votes cast."
and
"Proposals, sponsors, ballot options, calls for votes and other formal
actions are made by announcement on a publicly-readable electronic
mailing list designated by the Project Leader's Delegate(s); any
Developer may post there."

A reasonable interpretation of the above is that the listing of all
votes cast fits into "other formal actions", and must be made on a
"publicly-readable electronic mailing list".

So I propose the following ballot option (and am seeking sponsors), to
make it explicit that votes should only be disclosed to Developers.

----------------- ballot option ----------------->8

The developers resolve to make the following changes to the Debian Constitution:

    Votes are taken by the Project Secretary. Votes, tallies, and
    results are not revealed during the voting period; after the
    vote the Project Secretary [-lists-] {+discloses+} all the votes [-cast.-] {+cast to Developers.+} The voting
    period is 2 weeks, but may be varied by up to 1 week by the
    Project Leader.

Rationale: even if it has some limitations (such as the possibility of a
leak), limiting the disclosure of votes to Developers (instead of to the
general public) is a suitable compromise solution to the issue being
raised in this GR.

The Secretary could adjust the procedure by, for example, making the
tally available in an area that is only accessible by Developers, or by
sending it to the debian-private mailing list.

Lucas