Re: Secret Ballots: How Secret

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 09:50:17AM -0700, Sam Hartman wrote:

> TL;DR: I'm proposing that  the way we handle DPL elections today is a
> good start for what secret means.

Alas it does not work since it does not provide plausible deniability.
Let me explain. For DD election, devotee publish a voters list and
a tally sheet with hashes of secret code.

DD could be black-mailed to reveal their secret code, hence revealing
their vote. Even with them refusing to do so, they are not safe:
Let say there are two options A and B.
If all the DD who votes A>B reveal the secret code returned by devotee,
anybody can check they indeed voted for A, and by doing a substraction
conclude that all the other voted for B, thus breaking the anonimity of
the vote even for those that kept their vote secret.

So it does not prevent DD that voted B>A to be harassed later for their
choice.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.