Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

Hi,

Please allow me to clarify three things for casual readers of my earlier post.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 5:56 AM Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:

> If we are assuming that some DDs might start attacking people based on
> the way they voted, then I'd suggest that it's more important to eject
> such toxic people from Debian than it is to try to mitigate their
> toxicity using measures that have negative side-effects.

I see no way to expel people reliably based on what they might do. It
violates basic tenets of justice to punish people for something they
have not done yet—and may never do.

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 7:12 AM Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
> <jpmengual@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > This point is right. But I am not sure Debian is robust enough, today,
> > to expell easily, quickly and without the victims to be disappointed to
> > make part of the project, someone. recent examples show how such
> > decisions are difficult, controversial, and while CT + DAM + DPL work on
> > this, I think it is a long-term thought, given the original culture of
> > Debian and the current society state of mind.

Equipped with special investigative authority, members of the
community team should be careful to recognize the due process concerns
above. It also does not reflect well on their office to arouse public
opinion in favor of even easier or quicker prosecutions.

> It is hate speech, pure and simple—and should be grounds for
> expulsion from the project.

That was meant in the context of the debate and not a call for
expulsion at this time.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner