Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

Hi,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
Debian Developer non uploading
Community team member
Accessibility team member
debian-l10n-french team member
President of Debian France non-profit organization

Le 14/02/2022 à 12:01, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
On 2/14/22 10:36, Philip Hands wrote:
I don't actually care if our votes are readable by the general public,
so would one way of addressing the concerns of attracting abuse would be
to make the tally sheet only available to DDs behind authentication?

I very much agree with the above.

I don't. When I remember how the debates were stressful and painful, and with harasment to persons (I mean during the GR debate), I think some GHRs require secret votes. Neither I care other DDs to see my votes when it affects Debian (DPL, internal GRs, etc), or a technical debate, issue. But from the time Debian starts addressing non-technical topics, I want my vote to be secret. For reminde, even once the vote was started, pressures went on to influence vote. So...

I don't see why I would want to hide my opinion from the other DDs.

Going this path, I don't think we would need to vote on it. Please, if possible, avoid too much voting if we have other ways to fix the issue: this is exhausting everyone.

hmm I agree with this. Votes would not need to be secret if Debian would not start taking political decisions. I hope the project will not need it often. Anyway this situation needs to be addressed in our processes.

regards

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)