Re: What does FD Mean

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 08:40:03AM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
> > Here's how this works in the real world:
> >     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_vote
> >
> > As our ballots routinely get sorted (systemd was FBADHEG$) according to the
> > vote's spectrum, it would be nice to get resistant to such votes.  Thus,
> > what about sorting ballots randomly instead?
>
> Do you have any evidence at all that this occurs in Debian votes?
>
> If you have read the article to which you refer, you'll have seen:
>
>   Donkey votes are most common where preference voting is combined with
>   compulsory voting, such as in Australia, particularly where all
>   candidates must be ranked on the ballot paper.
>
> Our elections are not compulsory

That's why we don't get pure donkey votes (12345678).

> and there is no insistence that one ranks all options

This has been suggested in this very thread.

> so I seriously doubt that people who are going to the
> trouble of filling in all the numbers would bother if they had no
> interest in the actual outcome, which is what you are trying to imply.

Even if that suggestion won't pass, there's quite some psychological effect,
which randomizing the order would eliminate.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ in the beginning was the boot and root floppies and they were good.