Re: Re: What does FD Mean

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 at 11:57, Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 11:46:23AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > A possible solution is to drop the majority requirement
> > and have a quorum on the number of people that vote ...
>
> A quorum on the number of people who vote means that a vote against the
> proposal counts for the quorum.
>
> Assuming a quorum high enough, this gives a coordinated boycott of the
> vote a higher chance of defeating a proposal than voting against it.

Making a system more complicated to try and address a specific
deficiency rarely reduces its attack surface. In this case, our voting
system involves multiple levels (quorum, majority, ranking resolution)
each with its own criteria and threshold and (due to Arrow's Theorem)
unavoidable flaws, and every feature of this sort increases the
system's attack surface to both strategic voting and to just plain
doing the wrong thing given honest votes. Moving FD around in the
ordering is an example of this, as is a quorum boycott.

Since voting systems are necessarily vulnerable (Arrow's Theorem!) our
objective cannot be perfection, but rather good performance under
realistic conditions.

But I'm not sure this is the right place to discuss these issues.
Maybe debian-meta-vote@lists.debian.org?

Cheers,

--Barak.