Re: Amendment to RMS/FSF GR: Option 5

On 4/2/21 18:48, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 06:18:51PM +0200, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
On 4/2/21 16:56, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 03:49:04PM +0200, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
On 4/2/21 09:20, Craig Sanders wrote:
TEXT OF OPTION 5
----------------

Debian refuses to participate in and denounces the witch-hunt against Richard
Stallman, the Free Software Foundation, and the members of the board of the
Free Software Foundation.

----------------

I sincerely think debian-vote should be read-only for non-DDs because this
person is not a DD (afaict) and is just polluting our list with such
non-sense.

Zlatan, it is clear that you disagree with Craig's mail, but that is no
reason attack him personally as you have done.
Attack? I stated that he is (afaict) not a DD. He used 'witch-hunt" term,
which is just a pollution of the list. People throwing random words from
past with no connection to present doesn't give me any hope that they mean
good nor that they think about their actions.
Using the word 'witch-hunt' is an expression of an opinion.  Perhaps
'character assissination' might have been less opinionated, though still
very much a loaded term.  Incidentally, the use of "witch hunt" in
modern English is idiomatic.  It has nothing to do with hunting actual
witches or with any sort of extreme punishment associated with
historical real witch hunts.  In the modern usage it is about punishing
someone (frequently someone who is a part of the group but not at fault)
so that the larger group or its leaders can feel as though action has
been taken to deal with some "evil" which has been exposed.

However, calling someone's words "pollution" has, at least in English,
very much a personal aspect to it.

A word like "clutter" (something that distracts from the main objective)
would communicate a similar thought without making it personal against
the individual making the comment/statement.
So you gave me a lecture why someone used that wording and that they might have used it differently just to say that my wording is terrible and I could use something different.

There was already a reply by Jess with a link to Craig's NM entry.
However, it doesn't tell the whole story, since the NM site can only
tell the story as far back as its database goes.
That entry showed nothing on my search (dev since 1970...)
According to your NM page you have been a DD since 2016 (that is the
date listed for your DD application being completed).  As far as Craig,
the debian-keyring package changelog contains this entry:

debian-keyring (1998.09.27) unstable; urgency=low

    * Mon Sep  7 14:13:23 EDT 1998: [PGP/IG]  Updated the key of Dima Barsky
    * Thu Sep 10 18:10:03 EDT 1998: [PGP/IG]  Added the key of Craig Sanders

So, to summarize: when you became a Debian Developer, Craig had already
been a Debian Developer for about 18 years.
Okay, that is an amazing feat, still not good enough to throw tantrums
around with "witch-hunt". Women in past were burnt alive on stakes, so stop
with extreme rhetoric when some expresses that they had it enough with
sexist behavior.

I think that you might have missed the idiomatic sense of the term Craig
used, which I explained above.

I think you might have missed the point of this GR.