Re: Possible fourth ballot option

    Russ> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
    >> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:55:19PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

    >>> Instead of the quite complex procedure proposed by Wouter,
    >>> couldn't we patch the DPL's power to increase or decrease the
    >>> the discussion period to allow the DPL to extend it beyond three
    >>> weeks?

    >> The downside of doing that is that if the DPL does this, then it
    >> is a fairly political action, with all downsides of that method:
    >> if there is a group of developers who would like the time to be
    >> extended and a group who doesn't, then the DPL will be caught
    >> between a rock and a hard place, and will be yelled at by one
    >> group or the other, regardless of which decision they take.

    Russ> Yes, this exactly.  When drafting my original proposal, I
    Russ> thought about this possibility, but I think it puts the DPL in
    Russ> an incredibly difficult position where they will be accused of
    Russ> political bias no matter what they do.

Strongly agreed.  I was trying very carefully to use this DPL power
during the systemd resolution to make the options I proposed work like
options others proposed.  Even that accumulated a fair bit of
frustration.
Giving this power to the DPL makes the DPL job more challenging,
especially if the DPL is actually trying to lead and proposing ballot
options that are in the middle.