Possible fourth ballot option

Hi,

First,

> Many thanks to Russ and Wouter for all their work on this.

+1

If I understand correctly, most agree that we would like to keep
the discussion period short in most cases. But at the same time, in
exceptional circumstances, some would like a way to extend it.

Instead of the quite complex procedure proposed by Wouter, couldn't we
patch the DPL's power to increase or decrease the the discussion period
to allow the DPL to extend it beyond three weeks?

The change could be as simple as replacing 'original values in point
A.1.1' with 'former values' in

  The Project Leader may, at any point in the process, increase or
  decrease the minimum and maximum discussion period by up to 1 week from
  their original values in point A.1.1, except that they may not do so in
  a way that causes the discussion period to end within 48 hours of when
  this change is made. The length of the discussion period is then
  recalculated as if the new minimum and maximum lengths had been in place
  during all previous ballot changes under points A.1.1 and A.1.4.

I think that it is reasonable to assume that the DPL will make such
decisions based on what is best for the project. If the DPL abuses this,
there's still the possibility to override the decision.

There could be a loophole if the DPL extends indefinitely a GR to recall
the DPL or to override the DPL, so maybe those should be excluded
though.

Lucas