Re: Renaming the FTP Masters

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> writes:

>> I'm a native German speaker and "Führer" is widely and
>> completely uncontroversially used in German in lots of contexts
>
> That is, as you noted, somewhat true for the word "master" as well,
> but your portrayal of a wide and unequivocal acceptance of the word
> "Führer" in German society is fictional. [3] I am from Berlin, and
> people hesitate to use the word anywhere near its historical
> meaning—except in fringe groups. [4]

Yes, but no one is advocating that we use the word "master" in its
historical meaning relating to slavery, so that's hardly relevant. As
has been repeated many times, there are non-problematic meanings of
"master". So while German speakers, as you point out, may want to avoid
speaking of a political leader as a "Führer", they don't seem to want to
avoid referring to their driver's license as a "Führerschein". By the
same token, it's reasonable for Debian to judge "master of a slave" and
"master of the package archive" completely differently.

 -- Gard