Re: Renaming the FTP Masters

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 2:14 PM Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

> I'm at a loss to actually find polite words to describe how off it is,
> to do this via a GR.

The mildest vote in the U.S. House of Representatives is the naming of
a U.S. Post Office. I think it would be such a vote. How can someone
not be for it?

By the way, we are behind the times. Many universities have avoided
the term since 2016. [2] It was also in the newspapers a year ago.

> the GR should give the new name

I did not wish to bind future generations.

> just because some group of racists happens to use the same word

For better or for worse, we are part of a larger world. For the German
speakers among us, it may make sense that "Führer" isn't a great word,
either. [1] We live with history.

> did you engage with the FTP master team

That would not achieve the intended purpose. Voting in unison can be
therapeutic for a group. Our discussions are too aggressive or
accusatory, and too long. For once, there would be peace. We can use a
little more consensus. Isn't this conversation milder and shorter than
most?

> Debian is a very risk averse and slow to change project.

We need more trust. The group has to rise—as a moral force, but
gently—over the arbitrary and capricious nature that makes us who we
are. In short, we need more compassion for each other and more
inspiration to do good. Some call it culture.

The strong maintainer model is one big reason. DAM is desperately
trying to rule. The code of conduct isn't working. We effectively live
under martial law, a very low and unjust way to organize our group's
affairs. What does it mean to be sophisticated? Debian can do better.

> I'd suggest the debian archive team

Personally, I like Archive Operations. I also had the FTP vs HTTP
thingy on my mind, but all the technical questions miss the human
point: It was to seek common ground among people.

> It is *very* silly

I was not offended. Please call me anything—just do not lie. (You didn't.)

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[1] Given the extraordinary atrocities, that comparison is only
illustrative. It was also not my idea, but I can't find the reference.
[2] https://www.thecollegefix.com/rice-u-away-master-term-cites-negative-historical-connotation/