Re: Renaming the FTP Masters

Am Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 03:28:07PM -0700 schrieb Felix Lechner:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 2:14 PM Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm at a loss to actually find polite words to describe how off it is,
> > to do this via a GR.
>
> The mildest vote in the U.S. House of Representatives is the naming of
> a U.S. Post Office. I think it would be such a vote. How can someone
> not be for it?

Because people think that the stated reason for the change
doesn't make any sense to them?

> > just because some group of racists happens to use the same word
>
> For better or for worse, we are part of a larger world. For the German
> speakers among us, it may make sense that "Führer" isn't a great word,
> either. [1] We live with history.

As with "master" in English that completely depends on the
context.  I'm a native German speaker and "Führer" is widely and
completely uncontroversially used in German in lots of contexts
that have nothing to do with the Nazis, e.g. in the meaning of
"guide" (like in Fremdenführer, Stadtführer, Museumsführer,
Wanderführer, etc.), in the meaning of "manager" (like in
Zugführer at the train services or in Zugführer at the fire
departments and the emergency support services), in the meaning
of "controller/handler" (like in Hundeführer at the mountain
rescue services or in Frachtführer at carrier/transport services)
and in the meaning of "driver" (like in Kraftfahrzeugführer,
Triebfahrzeugführer, Schiffsführer and of course in Führerschein
(driver's license)), and nobody I know of has any problem with
these kinds of uses simply because in these contexts there is
absolutely no connection to the Nazi's use of the word "Führer".

Regards,
Karsten
--
Hiermit widerspreche ich ausdrücklich der Nutzung sowie der Weitergabe
meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der Werbung sowie der Markt-