Re: Call for votes on «Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board»

* Gunnar Wolf: " Re: Call for votes on «Statement regarding Richard Stallman's
  readmission to the FSF board»" (Fri, 2 Apr 2021 12:57:09 -0600):

Thank you Gunnar for pushing this forward.

> Nicolas Dandrimont dijo [Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 06:27:48PM +0200]:
> > > (...)
> > > [A] Call for the FSF board removal, as in rms-open-letter.github.io
> > >     (proposed by Steve Langasek, currently base proposal)
> > >
> > > [B] Call for Stallman's resignation from FSF all bodies
> > >     (proposed by Sruthi Chandran, currently proposal B)
> > >
> > > [C] Discurage collaboration with the FSF while Stallman is in a leading
> > > position (proposed by Santiago Ruano Rincón, currently proposal C)
> > >
> > > [D] Call on the FSF to further its governance processes
> > >     (proposed by Jonathan Wiltshire, currently proposal D)
> > >
> > > [E] Debian will not issue a public statement on this issue
> > >     (proposed by Timo Weingärtner, currently proposal E)
> > >
> > > [F] Support Stallman's reinstatement, as in rms-support-letter.github.io
> > >     (proposed by Timo Weingärtner, currently proposal A)
> > > (...)
> >
> > I would suggest moving proposal E to the top or to the bottom of the
> > ballot, as one can argue that this "status quo" option doesn't
> > really fit within the "condemn → support" axis you've proposed. I
> > think I agree with how the other options are ordered.
>
> Makes sense. OTOH, we usually take FD as "preserve status quo"; FD
> usually appears (and should appear this time as well, sorry for not
> capturing it in my ballot proposal) as the last option.

I don't get that. Is this really common sense that FD means/meant "preserve
status quo"? For me voting this option definitely should mean that further
discussion on the topic is needed.

> I understand, option E is not semantically identical to FD, but is
> equivalent in the way that it means "do nothing project-wide, either
> for or against".

I consider the really great value of current option E that I can indeed
vote explicitely that nothing should be done on behalf of the project and that
further discussion is *not* needed.

I agree that option E as the counterpart to all other options should be first
or last, and my personal preference would be first.

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0xD6D09BE48405BBF6