Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 09:12:24AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 March 2021 11:38:25 PM AEDT Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > Freedom of speech does *not* mean freedom from consequences.

> Here is a good reply to this very statement:

> ~~~
> "Freedom of speech is supposed to imply freedom from quite a wide range
> of possible consequences; mostly consequences like fines or incarceration,
> but the spirit of it applies more broadly than that. If I were to say that
> [whoever] is free to speak, but I wouldn’t guarantee there would be no
> consequences for that speech, wouldn’t it be fair to interpret my words
> as a veiled threat?
>
> The only valid “consequences” for an act of free speech is a solid rebuttal.
>
> If you think otherwise, then I suggest that you haven’t quite grasped the
> point of the concept, or that you simply have tyrannical tendencies
> (as many do).
> ~~~

That's why facebook and twitter are full of well-informed people engaged in
reasoned discussions, right?

Oh no wait, it's the exact opposite, because it's far cheaper to disseminate
stupid and toxic ideas than it is to convince people of complicated and
accurate ones.

Turns out the marketplace of ideas is actually the Home Shopping Network.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/