Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 09:12:24AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
>On Wednesday, 24 March 2021 11:38:25 PM AEDT Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Freedom of speech does *not* mean freedom from consequences.
>
>Here is a good reply to this very statement:
>
>~~~
>"Freedom of speech is supposed to imply freedom from quite a wide range
>of possible consequences; mostly consequences like fines or incarceration,
>but the spirit of it applies more broadly than that. If I were to say that
>[whoever] is free to speak, but I wouldn’t guarantee there would be no
>consequences for that speech, wouldn’t it be fair to interpret my words
>as a veiled threat?
>
>The only valid “consequences” for an act of free speech is a solid rebuttal.
>
>If you think otherwise, then I suggest that you haven’t quite grasped the
>point of the concept, or that you simply have tyrannical tendencies
>(as many do).
>~~~
>
>Taken from the following conversation:
>
>  https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/2021/02/07/friendly-atheist-defends-censorhip/

Rather than pick on one sentence of what I wrote and quote random
people on the internet as a "rebuttal", how about reading and
responding to the rest of that mail too? I'm not talking about fines
or incarceration, I'm not talking about "threats", I'm talking about
the *effects of the speech* itself here.

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me