Re: [draft] Cancel this year's in-person Debian Developers Conference DebConf20

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

> Sure, but doing business by threat of GR is a horrible way to run things.

I find this so strange.

To me, this is like saying that it's horrible to have the executive branch
of a government have to do business under threat of the legislature
passing laws.  That's literally what it's there for.  It's not a threat;
it's not even adversarial.  It's how governance works in Debian.

> There's enough to do to make the Debian project go that I don't think we
> need to engage in project level micromanagement like this.

Whether or not to hold the flagship conference for the project is not
micromanagement.  Micromanagement would be dictating the front desk hours
or having a GR on the day trip destination.  This is a significant
decision that, among other things, directly impacts a substantial
percentage of the project's funds.

If the project ever wanted to make any of the large, hard decisions I have
to make via GR instead, I'd be *thrilled*.  It's nerve-wracking to try to
weigh input to understand what the project as a whole really wants; by all
means tell me directly any time you want!