Re: Q to all candidates: NEW queue

On 26/03/20 1:03 pm, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For as long as I can remember, there has been complaints about the
> delays caused by NEW processing (and
> https://ftp-master.debian.org/stat.html shows that we constantly have
> 250-300 packages waiting to be processed).
>
> What is your diagnostic of this issue?
> What solutions do you envision about this issue? Is that just something
> that we have to live with?

Delays in NEW processing is something I am concerned personally.

I assume manpower is the main issue in these delays. One thing is sure,
more people we have looking into NEW queue, faster the process would be.
The call for FTP-trainees which happened recently is a good start (I
have applied to be an FTP-trainee). I would suggest that there should be
regular induction of new people to FTP-team and growing the team so that
there is no shortage of active people working on NEW queue at any time.

I am also aware of some alternative solutions/technical workflows being
proposed for NEW processing in -devel. I do not have any clear cut
solution as of now, but as DPL I would definitely encourage discussions
on this topic and come up a solution acceptable for both FTP-team and
package maintainers.

> Specifically, Jonathan writes that he would like to "Reduce bottlenecks
> that affect our contributors.". That sounds like a good example.
>

> Personnally, I wonder if we are being overly cautious about NEW. I
> wonder if we could move to checking a posteriori (accept the package in
> unstable; maybe don't let it migrate to testing until it is reviewed).
I personally had a couple of packages which had some overlooked
copyright issues that FTP-team pointed out. I do believe the work done
by the team is important for the project, circumventing that may not be
a good option. As I mentioned earlier, we should come up with solving
manpower issues and ways to simplify the work of FTP-team instead.