Response to jcc's rebuttal

I certainly don’t think it will be possible to create both Foundations in one
term, and it may not be possible to even finish creating the US Foundation in
one DPL term, but a lot of progress can be made. In my platform, I estimated
6-12 months, but there are things that are out of our control. These things
include waiting for approvals from municipalities, working on the details, and
time spent building consensus on the details.

I commit that if I am elected DPL, that I will run for a second term, and
finish the creation of the US Foundation if it hasn’t already been completed,
whether or not I am re-elected as DPL. In my first term, I will also begin
working with European developers to create the European Foundation but have no
expectation of completing that during the first-term.

Speaking of a second-term, I believe that because the DPL job involves a large
learning curve that can take over half of a DPL’s first term, prospective DPLs
should be open to the idea of serving two consecutive terms. In the past, I’ve
wondered if we should go as far as considering two-year DPL terms. Since then I
have come to value the status quo and the annual project-wide discussions that
the election stimulates. Also, annual elections give us regular opportunities
to assess our progress and priorities so we can decide whether we want a change
of direction.

Staffing-wise, as I said in my platform, I’m projecting a half-time (20 hours a
week) paid staff member to aid the DPL and related teams. If someone doesn’t
believe it’s appropriate to hire a part-time admin to aid with bureaucratic
tasks like finance and legal paperwork, they should not vote for me. Again,
before hiring anyone, I would consult with Project Members, as is required by
the Debian Constitution for all major expenditures.

Funding-wise, Debian has managed to have an overall positive cash flow for many
years, without any active non-purpose-driven fundraising. IE: We’ve raised funds
for conferences, and for specific goals like funding interns, but we’ve never
really done project-wide fundraising because we’ve never really needed to.
Despite no active fundraising for the general fund, we have more than enough
funds to hire a part-time admin. [1]

I am curious, what was meant by “yet another Debian mess”? In my eyes, the
biggest Debian “messes”, are the endless bikeshedding sessions that end up going
nowhere.

As I’ve stated earlier, I’m not a fan of unnecessary GRs.  If we can find a way
to assess the project’s will without them, we should, just as I thought Jonathan
believed, based on his 2019 DPL campaign rebuttal [2].:

  "I think that GRs should remain a last resort and that there are better ways
  to gauge the community's stance on a topic when you need it. If a poll is
  needed, it's better to do a proper poll than to use a GR as a generic tool."

I will say that during the development work to create the Foundations, if we
discover legal reasons that would require us to change the Constitution, I would
have no issue seeking a GR, and working to build consensus to make the necessary
changes.

Cheers,
Brian

[1] - https://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/annual-reports/2018.pdf