Re: Question to Brian: Why do you need to be DPL to set up foundations?

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 05:53:08PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Dear Brian:
>
> I've just read your platform.
> For reasons that are slightly different than the ones you state, I tend
> to agree that  setting up foundations sounds like a good idea.
> And I think you have a significant chunk of the background to lead that
> effort.
>
> As an individual (read after my DPL term expires) I'd be very likely to
> sponsor a GR as a referendum on this idea and even include text
> delegating making it happen to you.
>
> But I can't figure out why you'd need or want to be DPL to do that.

As you correctly noted, this work technically doesn't require one to be
DPL, but it would certainly help, and would at least require support from
the current DPL.

I chose this path for a number of reasons:

1) By making it my platform, it should be a much lighter-weight method
   for people to express their opinions than a GR. If this proves
   contentious, I can always withdraw my candidacy rather than push
   through a tough vote that splits the community. (In this case, I'd
   rather back off and take however long it takes to build a rough
   consensus.)

2) I don't believe a GR is needed, as my current plan doesn't require
   any changes to the constitution

3) As I alluded, it would really only be practical with the explicit
   support of the DPL.  Being DPL would guarantee that support.

4) It gives project members options on how they vote. If I am elected
   DPL, that would likely be a clear sign the project supports my
   proposal. If I was ranked below "None of the above", that's another
   clear message. Finally, if most people ranked me above "None of the
   above, even if I wasn't first choice, I'd assume that as a signal of
   support for the proposal and would try to work with the elected DPL
   to implement the proposal.

> How would you handle the aspects of being DPL that are not related to
> setting up a foundation?

I would try to be unsurprising when it comes to routine matters, like
appointing delegations and approving expenses. If I am unsure about the
best course, I will solicit advice both privately and, where warranted,
publically.

Where appropriate I would rely on delegates and other project members.
e.g. - I'm not the greatest public speaker, and would leave technical
decisions to the folks working on the features they want to see, and
if there are any unresolved disputes I trust the Technical Committee
and chair to resolve them.

> You talk about bringing back a DPL helpers team.
> What would that give us that we don't have today?

I found participating on Zack and Lucas's DPL-helpers teams rewarding,
and it gave me insight into some of Debian's big picture issues.

Although I have a technical background, my day-to-day work, is as a
technical manager, so I found DPL-helpers an interesting path to
contribute that wasn't purely technical or overly specialized. I'd hope
to offer such a contribution path to others would might have similar
backgrounds.

If elected DPL, I would invite the other DPL candidates to join that
team as I do believe it provided good exposure for those considering
running for DPL.

> How would you lead over the next year in areas unrelated to  setting up
> the foundation?

Largely, I'd let people do what they do, and be there to help unblock
them if they need resources, or other support. I don't have a major
short term agenda, outside of the Foundations that could be accomplished
in a single term, and there are laundry lists of tasks/projects a DPL
might take on. For example, here's an old list, I collected as a
DPL-helper. [1]

I am fairly certain that working on the Foundations, and taking care
of routine matters, will keep me plenty busy. If I were to try and
expand the goals, they would likely prove unreachable.

> What do you think the big challenges that the DPL will face that are
> unrelated to the foundation/administrative matters will be in 2020?

All indications are that 2020 is going to be a trying year for
everyone. We'll all be dealing with existential challenges, and I'm
not sure how this will impact the project, but I'm certain it's won't
be negligible.

Everyone is anxious and I believe that that everyone in the project,
including and perhaps especially the DPL, will need to be especially
empathetic to our colleagues and friends in our Debian family.

[1] - https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Ideas