Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 08:46:35PM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Dec 2019, Sam Hartman wrote:
>
> > > TL;DR: Treating people with respect is hard and very contextual.
> > > Choosing to change how you talk about something to make people more
> > > comfortable doesn't always mean you were obligated to make that change.
> > > Sometimes you're just promoting connection.
> > *snip*
>
> > today I had to write a bunch of mails in my role as one of the listmasters.
> > To be honest, I had better things to than doing that.. I want to remember
> > *everyone* on list (and of course on all other lists to) to follow our Coc [1]
> > and the l.d.o additions [2]. Beside of those formal things, I ask you all to
> > come down. Please remember, in the end we are just doing some stupid thing
> > like a linux distribution here. There are so many more important things like
> > a technical discussion.
>
> I don't know if this is what you intended, but it reads to me like you are
> saying here that a technical discussion is more important than Martina's
> concerns about transphobia in our community and trans people having their
> identity denied.
>
> I disagree and would consider that an unacceptable position for a Debian
> listmaster to take.
In fact it does not point into *any* of those directions. It means we are
doing a technical thing here and *no* discussion should be that emotional.

And it also is meaned in the other direction - no technical discussion is
that important that it should hurt any feelings.

There are hundreds of things that are more important than Debian. Don't let a
discussion over stupid initsystems escalate in a way that people get hurt.

Thats what I wanted to say.

Alex - Not speaking as listmaster