Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 08:46:35PM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019, Sam Hartman wrote:

> > TL;DR: Treating people with respect is hard and very contextual.
> > Choosing to change how you talk about something to make people more
> > comfortable doesn't always mean you were obligated to make that change.
> > Sometimes you're just promoting connection.
> *snip*

> today I had to write a bunch of mails in my role as one of the listmasters.
> To be honest, I had better things to than doing that.. I want to remember
> *everyone* on list (and of course on all other lists to) to follow our Coc [1]
> and the l.d.o additions [2]. Beside of those formal things, I ask you all to
> come down. Please remember, in the end we are just doing some stupid thing
> like a linux distribution here. There are so many more important things like
> a technical discussion.

I don't know if this is what you intended, but it reads to me like you are
saying here that a technical discussion is more important than Martina's
concerns about transphobia in our community and trans people having their
identity denied.

I disagree and would consider that an unacceptable position for a Debian
listmaster to take.

> Thanks for your attention and please forgive me any usage of bad wording
> or typos.

I'm certainly happy to do this if that's what it is.  But given the severity
of the implications of the possible misinterpretation, I would ask that you
please clarify.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/