Re: If we're Going to Have Alternate Init Systems, we need to Understand Apt Dependencies

On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 at 09:37:07 +0000, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> it seems like there is an alternative — have them provided by
> a different package. Probably one package providing quite a few of
> them. It'd need some way to only try to start installed daemons, but
> that sounds solvable.

Not only solvable, but already required to be solved: any LSB init script
that doesn't start with something like

    test -x "$DAEMON" || exit 0

(or use init-d-script(5) which does this for you) is already (RC-?)buggy,
because LSB init scripts are conffiles, and conffiles usually get left
behind when a package is removed but not purged.

    smcv