Re: If we're Going to Have Alternate Init Systems, we need to Understand Apt Dependencies

On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 06:04:19PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> One of the options I had in my original proposal was that we could drop the
> requirement for transitions through apt, and instead provide transition
> scripts that use dpkg's --force options to go through an invalid state
> instead of requiring all intermediate states to be valid.
I think apt already does that sometimes?

> > In this discussion I provided a popcon graph which shows that systemd-
> > shim has significantly more installations than sysvinit-core; if you
> > prefer inline numbers: for stretch there are 3335 systemd-shim
> > installations and 775 sysvinit-core installations. So it looks like
> > something isn't quite as wanted. (And likely not all 775 sysvinit-core
> > installations even have systemd-shim, so the unwanted case is even a
> > bit larger; I'm too lazy to check that right now.) But even getting
> > some people to acknowledge this seems very hard.
>
> Could these be upstart based?
I doubt that, looking at the popcon data for upstart itself.
Though I don't know how to get the data for stretch specifically.

> > I also tried some related things, including some proposals to improve
> > systemd support via Policy proposals that don't even degrade support
> > for sysvinit such as recommending to always include native systemd
> > units where approporiate. That now went back to someone questioning
> > whether one should recommend to (almost) *never* include native systemd
> > units instead...
>
> I'd be in favour of always including units along with init scripts, ideally
> as a strong requirement so we can disable the init script compatibility
> layer in systemd, and the same for cron files and timer units.
The relevant policy bug is #941198.

--
WBR, wRAR