Re: Proposal to overturn init systems premature GR

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 11:34:40PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> The issue has existed since five years ago. However, discussion on
> *this* GR has started only a month ago.
>
> A month is fairly short in Debian time to draft all the options on a
> ballot that is likely to be so contentions. That we've managed to get
> this far is amazing, but does not negate the fact that people are still
> working on their draft.
>
> If this option does not make progress in a few days, then yes, you're
> right. But I agree with Ian -- even if I'm unlikely to vote for that
> option -- that allowing it a fair chance to arrive onto the ballot is
> important.
[...]
> I don't think that waiting a few more days is going to make the sky
> fall. There have been votes that took *far* longer than this one to be
> decided on.
>
> Historically, we've waited until discussion died before we called for
> vote. It feels wrong to not do the same now, on an issue that is likely
> to be this contentious.

I have to somewhat correct my last mail and agree with Wouter here too.

Even though the discussion partly has become somewhat painful again, it's
important to let people finish drafting their options until they are ready
and then vote. Especially after 5 years.

Some holiday dates (which affect everyone differently anyway, just like
weather) shouldn't influence our voting dates too much.

--
cheers,
	Holger