Re: Question Under Proposal D: Compile Time Option

* Neil McGovern:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 05:18:35PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 11/29/19 11:32 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> > Imagine that we have a program that has compile time support for systemd
>> > and for other mechanisms.  It provides enhanced functionality when built
>> > against systemd, but when so built, it cannot run without systemd.
>> >
>> Is this a real life case (if so, please name the package...), or just a
>> pure fictional one, just because you love debating?
>>

> Or a hypothetical one, but one which could be fairly reasonable to
> expect. This GR seems to be trying to put in place a statement on what
> exactly we mean by support, and so considering things which may
> reasonably happen in the future is something that we should do.

It's certainly what we have seen with SELinux, where support causes
packages to grow additional library dependencies.  Even though
libselinux is overall quite benign (even Fedora and downstreams do not
*require* that the kernel activates SELinux), I'm sure it initially
caused problems for chroot setups.