Re: [draft] Draft text on Init Systems GR

Mike Gabriel writes:
> On  Sa 09 Nov 2019 23:57:08 CET, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> The one thing I am against though is the non-Linux ports holding back
>> innovation and experimentation on the Linux ports. If we go with the
>> lowest common denominator, we can't realistically move forward, ever.
>
> I agree with that and at the same time think that we (Debian) should
> do our best at being universal (that's what the upcoming vote is
> about).

How so?

Debian doesn't support multiple libc implementations.  So it's already
not universal if "universal" requires to always support alternative
implementations.  Nor does Debian (the released distribution) support
non-Linux kernels.  Nor does Debian support the various OpenSSL forks.

We also have lots of software that requires Linux-specific functions and
are not portable.

So in many, many cases Debian has made the choice to only support one
specific implementation of something.

Ansgar