Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [draft] Draft text on Init Systems GR

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:19:24AM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> > Yes, that would be my desired outcome: an affirmation that Debian wants to
> > be "universal". This has been our greatest strength for years.

> Its a strength that wasted an enormous  amount of ressources. See
> kfreebsd (which was actually really nice!) and Hurd, to name some
> prominent examples.

Taking this to the extreme, it is an enormous waste of resources to
maintain both Debian and Ubuntu as separate entities. What differentiates
us?

> People should not be forced to waste their time, but also we should not
> necessarily stop them if they want to do it.

The problem is at the intersection when one person considers it a waste of
their time when they are asked to integrate the work of another person,
whose work is wasted if it is not integrated.

> For me I think the only useful way would be to maintain all init-scripts
> in a single package that gets pulled in with sysvinit. Whoever wants to
> use and maintain it is free to do so. Initscript could actually be
> installed using dpkg triggers or whatever else works.

You are still missing the point. This is not a technical problem, and
providing a technical solution...

> (And at some time we can still move that package into an external
> repository....).

... that essentially tells people to leave the project if they disagree
with you is not a solution for a social problem, quite the opposite in
fact.

   Simon