Re: Q: Do you believe in Supercow?

Hey David

On 2019/04/02 17:51, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 11:04:17PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
>>> for DPL Candidates"[1] article as stats about the prospective DPLs seem
>>> to be in demand[2] I had to wonder if the DPL candidates wanted to take
>>> the opportunity to "perhaps" "make" "nice" and "good" comments "maybe"
>>> about "absolutely" "valuable" "foss" "software" or on "ways" one "might"
>>> "focus" "work" on to "help" "make" "something" to "believe" in "easier".
>>
>> I'm sorry but my little brain breaks after the 4th or 5th set of
>> airquotes already.
>
> The airquotes are around words DPL candidates used to use most before
> the stats were updated today – but interestingly many are still in. :)

D'oh! I didn't get that at the time. Nice!

>> that any Debian Member can just show up and make use of the place. With
>> our fantastic working conditions, and infinite funds to pay for travel
>> and fine food at all our locations, we will attract the very best
>> volunteers to our project that will eagerly do your bidding.
>
> A commune seems to have a negative ring to it, so I would suggest doing
> it like student corporations: Low-cost/free rent in exchange for
> contributions (instead of fencing), but yeah, that general idea seems
> a rather popular one. In terms of students (with a loose definition) we
> sort of have a very light and time limited version of this with the
> different Outreach programs Debian participates in. It was a major
> discussion point in previous elections, I take it that everyone agrees
> on that front this time around? Is that it in terms of DPL sponsored
> on-boarding or are we set on removing potential pain points for now?

I don't think it's completely fair to conflate current real-life affairs
with completely hypothetical situations that involve unlimited funding.

Having said that, I think both the topics of on-boarding and outreach
are vastly underexplored and deserve more attention. I'm again not sure
I completely understand the question, but if you're asking whether we
should be content with only having our current initiatives in terms of
outreach and onboarding, then I think that's a no, I think both areas
could be beefed up a lot.

>>> 3. The package managers of the day of the languages of the day always
>>> seem to have a billion active contributors, hundreds of "nether knew
>>> I couldn't live without them before" features and are all around just
>>> great. Expect that they have this annoying problem solved by apt
>>> years ago, but all the advocates haven't realized it (yet). What is it?
>>
>> No idea, I don't have an aptitude for riddles.
>
> Brownie points for mentioning aptitude, but that was actually supposed
> to be an open question asking for a positive aspect after the last
> question would have been about a negative one of your choice. I will
> count it as dodging both questions.

I didn't mean to dodge it, I just had (and still have) lots of
difficulty parsing that question. I haven't hung out with many cow
people recently so my cowanese isn't as fluid as as it should be, it's
like solid cheese basically.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're basically asking for the
least favourite and most favourite aspect of APT?

<snip>
> In summary, I was kinda expecting a different reply with less dodging,
> but then again I am not sure what I was really expecting. After all,
> what are you expecting than you sent out a bunch of questions roughly
> qualifying as small talk with hints of drama seeking to a bunch of
> politicians campaining for election.

I'll admit that even with the hints I'm just having trouble following
you, you might want to consider simpler and more direct versions of the
questions you care about, even if they end up being less fun for it.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage