Re: Q to all candidates: increase diversity with DDs outside Europe and USA

Hi Jonathan,

On 3/30/19 4:53 PM, Jonathan Carter wrote:

> That's right, geographical diversity has some significance. There's been
> some discussion all over about privilege lately and how it affects free
> software contributions. Free software developers tend to come from
> backgrounds where people have a better quality of life and along with
> that, more free time. It's probably no surprise then that we have lots
> of contributors from Europe.

Thanks for the words "geographical diversity", I was looking for the
right word for express my idea :-)

We have debated for a long time here in Brazil that we have much more
Free Software "users" than Free Software "developers" in general.
It's not easy find brazilians helping projects with code. And it's not
different in Debian.

> I'll admit that geographical diversity won't be a high priority for me
> if I get elected as DPL, while there are many diversity factors that we
> can improve on, it's important to pick your battles and I think right
> now promoting women in the project and getting more women involved is
> the best place to focus energy on.

I'm not sure how you are planning to increase the number of women in
Debian, but if I can give you some advice is: it's better if you
encourage the current women Developers work on this, than you directly
work with the public. Maybe you already knew that.

I learned here that women that are not contributing feel more encouraged
to help Debian if they see women Developers talking with them. It's
better women-talking-to-women than men-talkimg-to-women.

We have 3 women brazilian DDs, but all of them are not living in Brazil
anymore. So, we (men) had to make some talks encouraging women to
contributing to Debian, and this is very strange. We have women
contributing to Debian now as Adriana and Helen. We hope DC19 help to
bring more brazilian women to the project.

> And, having said that, I think there's more we can do to support local
> teams in different regions. For example, creating a local marketing kit
> with posters, booklets, USB disks, t-shirts, other swag, etc that can be
> distributed all over the world for local teams to use. As DPL I would be
> very happy to approve funds for such a project, but if you look at the
> areas I already intend to focus on, it would not be one of the projects
> I want to drive personally. During DC16 someone did step up to run such
> a project, but I think he got busy. I hope someone picks it up again in
> the future.

I am not sure if you as DPL needs to help with local marketing. I
believe it is more important if you help to send women contributors that
live outside Europe/USA to Debian events in Europe or USA, for instance.
You will help them to keep in touch with a large of women Developers
there, and give them the opportunity to travel abroad.

Best regards,

--
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil

Organizador da DebConf19 - Conferência Mundial de Desenvolvedores(as) Debian
Curitiba - 21 a 28 de julho de 2019
http://debconf19.debconf.org